Brand new and have a few questions. Using Ubuntu need help figuring out where to start.

• Many years ago I toyed with c++ and Java, learned just enough to get out of the basic classes and didn't go any further. For the sake of ease, please assume I know NOTHING at all. I'd also like to mention I have done reading and research, I have picked up a few things but if someone could take the time out to just steer me a bit, I can promise I will do the work on my own and become a dedicated contributor to the site.

So as I mentioned I chose to learn coding on Linux. But, as a long time Windows user I am having to relearn just about everything. One thing that stumps me is what are the tools I should be looking for? I see things like Quanta, Pingendo, Seamonkey... Version control systems, kconfig and this all looks like gibberish to me. For instance, I get the concept of what an API is but if you hit me with some API jargon and expect me to understand in the slightest what is going on, I don't. And please don't mistake this post thinking I want someone to hold my hand through it all I just really need some guidance on where to start. My ADD is horrendous and I will be everyone and back before Sunday and not remember a single detail of the trip.

So I guess what I need to know is, what languages do I start with, where are the materials to actually begin learning (mind you, on Ubuntu Linux since that is the OS I am using), and what tools do I need to make everything function? Sorry I don't know the proper lexicons yet to describe what it is I want to do, but I will aim the best I can to help you help me.

Some info I can offer so that you can better assist me: Something that I think would be really cool to do is automate a very basic task I have at work. The utility of it would be pretty pointless, but it's the creating that turns me onto the project. So we use a Java application for our Hotel pms and I have to send an email at 7am before I leave every morning that just contains how many people stayed, how many expected to depart and how many expected to arrive. If I could pull those numbers and create that email with code rather than manual I would literally cry with joy. Again, just because it would be ME who created something, designed and fashioned a computer to work for me. That excited me beyond words. Even if I could pull the numbers, just entering them and automating the email would make my heart race.

I know this post has been long but it is likely the only one I will post that is aimed at this sort of questioning. If I can find the appropriate guidance I will do the homework, put in the hours and every question going forward will be concise and direct. I also look forward to helping others out after I have learned enough to share my knowledge. Please don't be mad at the circuity. I really need a community that I can feel apart of to learn this stuff, and I am one hundred percent willing to give back ten fold once I am capable of doing so.

Stay safe everyone and thanks for taking the time to read this!

• Great email. Seriously. I setup this site for people in situations just like you. I have been there and I know the struggle. With that said there are few things I recommend when it comes to learning to code.

Keep it incredibly simple and focus on a clear target. That is so important. There is a LOT of information out there and if you don't have a simple and clear target you WILL get lost.

I don't know exactly yet what you are trying to achieve yet but I would love to look into it.

I usually charge $39 an hour but I willing to help you with this project for free as a ONE-TIME EXCEPTION.

Schedule a session on https://calendly.com/avantutor

• Great email. Seriously. I setup this site for people in situations just like you. I have been there and I know the struggle. With that said there are few things I recommend when it comes to learning to code.

Keep it incredibly simple and focus on a clear target. That is so important. There is a LOT of information out there and if you don't have a simple and clear target you WILL get lost.

I don't know exactly yet what you are trying to achieve yet but I would love to look into it.

I usually charge $39 an hour but I willing to help you with this project for free as a ONE-TIME EXCEPTION.

Schedule a session on https://calendly.com/avantutor

• Wow Mr. Avan, I really don't even have the words. That is a very kind offer you have just made me, and I am glad to take you up on it! I have been poking around on forums in hopes to find a place like this for quite sometime and have been empty handed for every try spent until now. Please know that I do understand that your time is valuable not only to you, but to your other students also and I will try my very hardest to make sure . And I assure you the time won't be wasted on either you nor myself. I will do my very best to learn things at a rate that will be both efficient and swift. Again, thank you so much for helping me along the way on this journey.

So, you hinted towards needing me to explain to you a little bit more in terms of my interests and what it is exactly I am trying to build a skill set for. I am going to try my best to clarify that for you.

As I am preparing to start school sometime in the 3rd quarter of this year, I think I am set on a career in cybersecurity. Specifically, I am immensely intrigued with the idea of ethical hacking and penetration testing. As a side note however, I am saying that based on the image of that position in my mind, since I have no experience with it therefore I have zero knowledge of the actual task list that one performs while doing those things on a daily basis.

But, aside from the cybersecurity field - I have thought long and hard about this answer and still have such a hard time choosing a single his - I suppose building apps for either desktop or cross-platform usage would be my interest (I’m sure that really narrowed it down for you… lol.)
    But to go more in depth, honestly Mr. Avan I couldn’t say whether I want to eventually be assembling big data collection tools for AI, or designing UI tools for OSes such as Ubuntu or even a cool utility to customize a Windows desktop view. Truthfully I don’t think I will be able to make those decisions until I get my hands dirty and get to experience which of the thousands of different fields makes me the happiest, which feels the most satisfying, and which one I am most capable and adept at.

I am the type of person who learns best by doing. Trial and error. It works okay but the only problem with it is that it requires either an assigned project or one that I can ideate, visualize and find interest in myself in order to actually start plugging away at building a functioning program. And while I do have ideas for cool utilities and the like I am uncertain on how to move pass the ideation phase.

I know this is getting long but one example: I am using an old Nexus phone with an outdated Android OS (I got it to put UbuntuTouch on it) and I thought the other day “Man, wouldn’t it be cool if I created a program that worked as a task killer and, instead of being called, it simple took immediate priority in the interrupt line to kill tasks based on a condition.”

That was my ideation phase. That was the end of it. I don’t know how to map a plan, what tools it would require, what to study, how to beta test it… none of it. So I suppose what I am saying is I really don’t mind where I start, and other than building tools for ethical hacking which will be career focused, any and everything I learn now will just be a tool in the toolbelt for tackling life’s everyday problems and having a great time doing it. Anywhere you decide to steer the learning I will follow, and all I ask is that it is an area of coding that I can quickly immerse myself in the the actual “doing” phase as we learn because until I get to a point where I can practice rather than conceptualize, my mind doesn’t fully absorb the material.

So sorry I wrote another book! I was gonna PM this but wanted to say thank you publicly. Hope to be posting answers to questions in the next month - helping others like you are about to help me more than I can even know.